Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 5 days ago #326247

• [NLR] McFate
  • [NLR] McFate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Having troubles making the switch?

I see lots of people come into Elite only to complain of how hard it is to see or hit the target and then end up saying they don't like it and that they are going back to the original version. Have patience. It is not entirely the same game. New skills are required. I'm sure that if you got it down pat on the original you will get it here too, just don't expect it to come without a little effort.

I just had a btb game with only me and one red where we took turns parking at the end of the runway while the other would come in shooting on a bomb run. With the brake set we were immune to the incoming bullets but you could still see when a hit was scored. It was great practice for finding the range for bullet drop.

What I found was:

* you can see the enemy from much farther away than the bullets can go.
* past a certain range the bullets vanish.
* it looks like bullets have a very similar range as the maximum distance shot for a tank, perhaps a little bit further.
* when you first get in range just line up the target with the bottom of the small inner circle of the gun sight. It's usually right there and as you get closer it moves up to the center of the cross hairs.

So you might hold your fire for a bit when the Reds first come into view. Not only are they out of range but you are also wasting bullets and giving the Reds a very good indication of where to aim for you. It may not be that you "can't see well enough to hit anything" but that you are not in range yet. Even with my poor vision, by the time I'm in range I can see where the red plane is. The problem of banners covering planes has gone for me. I have reduced the name tag size to a little more than half and it seems to remember this setting now. (iPad os9) I don't suggest making them smaller than necessary; with hills, clouds and trees able to block your view, sometimes the red name tag sticking up is the only way you can spot a tank in the trees. (It actually makes a slight disadvantage for squad members because their name tag is taller.)

I'm not sure yet but there seems to be a difference in the drop when shooting from different elevations, meaning that if your target is higher than you, you need to lead your shots differently than when you are shooting at a lower target.

Shooting at a far off plane that is going crosswise to your direction is very different here. Leading your shots requires several factors and definitely requires some experience to get a feel for it.

The soldier seems to have a shorter range yet, with more pronounced drop. (When doing rapid fire it looks a bit like he's going pee. Lol!) Some players seem to get in chute instantly and are able to shoot dead ahead before you can see the chute deploy. I always feel like I'm trying to run in a dream and it seems like it takes forever to line up a shot. I'm finding long range from the chute to be almost entirely luck. (Edit: it's easier to control now.)

Tanks have much shorter range in elite. Also, I often don't get a kill when I hit a propeller dead on. The sweet spot for me seems to be just above it. The trees can be fun to hide in and shoot from. There are lots of good places to take cover when shooting at the ships. In btb, the patch of trees below the hill in front of north base is a great spot to lob shells from. The added bullet drop can help to hit the hangars from that spot. The forest at South base is a little too far away to be good cover for shooting hangars...still working on that one. I think providing air-cover for tanks would bring many games to a faster end.

It takes a little getting used to but elite is much better in my opinion. Having the lazar shots of the original seems almost cartoonish to me now. I'm not saying that the game is much more realistic but I think it is a step in the right direction. Make the switch. The sooner you do the more ahead of the curve (or ballistic drop) you'll be.
B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, [NLR]Jacob10000, ZebraUp, Sharp Shooter, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Acegirl, R E Z, =£= Fiery Tiger, #1 GHOST, nebular and 9 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Finding range in Elite 8 years 5 days ago #326250

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
I belive your correct that the bullets vanish but I would like to see the drop when.shooting in a.head on.situation on.android HTC the head on shooting looks.the same as.in df 1 .it looks.like.they are just going straight out and that makes it very hard to judge where your rounds are going .

Finding range in Elite 8 years 5 days ago #326276

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
(I added this to the original post)

When you do get in range just line up the red's plane with the bottom of the small inner circle of the gun sight. It's usually right there and as you get closer it moves up to the center of the cross hairs.

Finding range in Elite 8 years 5 days ago #326324

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4438
Do a Gannet attack.
In a vertical dive, you don't have to worry about bullet drop :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 4 days ago #326367

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
(I added this to the original post)

I don't suggest making the name tags any smaller than necessary; with hills, clouds and trees able to block your view, sometimes the red tag is the only way you can spot a tank in the forest. (It actually makes a slight disadvantage for squad members because their name tag is taller.)

Btw: Sometimes you can hit a target that is just below the other side of the hill if the bullet drop is just right.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: S. E. Dailey

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 4 days ago #326370

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

Fate, judging from last nights game, I think you've figured the bullet drop out. Your bullets dropped me several times! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Miss Kamakazi

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 4 days ago #326375

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

Hola amigos,estoy de acuerdo al 100%con mcfate.este juego es diferente pero mucho más
Realista,tienes la posibilidad de usar en tu
Favor los elementos.Árboles,nubes,bosques ect
Es impresionante una pelea en las nubes y se
Síente mas real,la caída de las balas es un
Poco difícil al principio.Como dice fate debes
Fijar la mira y cuanto más se acerque el enemigo ir más con el puntito hacia abajo.
1)yo tengo el nombre en tamaño menos de la
Mitad,ya que si lo dejas más pequeño el objetivo casi desaparece sobre todo entre los árboles y a ras de suelo.
2)tener siempre en cuenta este concepto:
Sí el enemigo tiene escuadrón se disparará en medio de las 2 líneas que separan el nombre del escuadrón y el del nick.A medida que el enemigo esta más cerca se bajará la fijación de la mira central por debajo de su nick.
En caso de que no tenga escuadrón se disparará
Por encima del nick,cuando está lejos y por
Debajo del nick cuando este más cerca.(Se correrá ráfagas entre el nombre de su escuadrón y su nick)esto suelo dar resultado
Pillando la ráfaga al enemigo.Y por encima del nick si no tiene escuadrón.
3)El disparo lateral debe ir por encima del objetivo ya que tiene mucha caída la bala.
Si está lejos un poco más alto(por encima de su nick)
4)el tanque es efectivo pero el alcance es un
Poquito menor,eso sí creo que hace más daño
La onda expansiva se reparte más o eso me
Pareció a mi observar.
5)El paracaidista,es un poco más raro,ya que
Al tener caída la bala,cuando disparas todas
Las balas caen por debajo del objetivo.En en
Momento que saltas ya puedes disparar cosa que
En el original no puedes,también puedes rasgar
La tela del paracaidas,y matar más rápido al
Soldado.Hay que jugar para acostumbrase
Una vez al entrar a jugar estaba nevado,y fue
Algo tan real...el tanque me patinada,en la colina derrape varias veces con el,es mucho más estable que el del original eso sin duda.
El trabajo de Joaquín es impresionante,y seguro que al élite le irá añadiendo más cosas
Es algo que prácticamente,acaba de comenzar y
Sin duda tendrá muchas mejoras,más aviones,mas
Misiones,creo que será una gran aventura para
Todos nosotros.un saludo,espero haber ayudado
Un poquito más en las dudas que pudieseis tener.Yo solo os diría una cosa,pasaros cuanto
Antes al élite yo combinó los dos juegos creo
Que para ir empezando es lo mejor.
SUMAROS,YA A ESTE DESAFÍO LLENO DE DIVERSIÓN
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Last edit: by baron rojo.

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 4 days ago #326376

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

ON-LINE
Platinum Boarder

Thank you received: 2597

Hello friends, I agree 100% with mcfate.este game is different but much more
Realistically, you have the possibility to use in your
Please the elementos.Árboles, clouds, forests ect
Is impressive a fight in the clouds and
Feels more real, falling bullets is a
Principio.Como little difficult to say fate should
Set the look and the more the enemy approaches go with the dot down.
1) I have the name on size less than
Half, because if you let smaller target almost disappears especially among the trees and at ground level.
2) Always keep in mind this concept:
If the enemy has squadron fire in the middle of the 2 lines that separate the name of the squadron and the nick.A as the enemy is closer to the central locking look below your nick will be lowered.
If you do not have squad will skyrocket
Above the nick when it is far and
Under the nick when closer. (Gusts will run between the name of his squad and his nickname) this soil bear fruit
Pillaging blast to enemigo.Y above the nick if you have squad.
3) The side shot must be above the target as it has a lot of bullet drop.
If you are away a little higher (over your nick)
4) the tank is effective but the scope is a
little less, yes I believe it does more damage
The shock wave is distributed more or that I
It seemed to me watching.
5) paratrooper, is a little weird because
By having the bullet fall when you shoot all
The bullets fall below objetivo.En in
Time you can jump and shoot thing
In the original you can not, you can also rip
Parachute fabric, and faster to kill
Soldado.Hay to play to accustom
Once upon entering play it was snowy, and was
Something so real ... I skated tank on the hill several times with skidding, is much more stable than the original that no doubt.
Joaquin's work is impressive, and certainly the elite will you add more things
It is something that practically just started and
Certainly you have many improvements, more planes, more
Missions, I think it will be a great adventure for
All nosotros.un greeting, I hope I have helped
A little more doubts pudieseis tener.Yo only one thing I would say, as pasaros
Before the elite I combined the two games I think
That is starting to go better.
SUMAROS, AND THIS FUN FILLED CHALLENGE
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, Gannet

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 4 days ago #326412

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
with the bullet drop surley a sight like this one maybe a better choice ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, baron rojo, [NLR] McFate, Sharp Shooter, Raz, airwolff, Cush62, Miss Kamakazi, J-Burger.USMC

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 8 years 2 days ago #326596

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In response to Dognamitt's post about eye strain on another thread:

Have you noticed how much shorter the overall bullet range is? You can see planes farther away than you can shoot. When I first went to elite (day one) I was straining my eyes too. I was putting shots into the far distance where I thought I could make out the tiniest speck. As it turns out, by the time the planes are in bullet range they are big enough for me to see.

I have old man eyes. I developed my looping, dodging style in df 1 so I could get close enough to see the targets because I could not make out the far off specks. Now that I'm used to elite I find I do better than in original df. If you want to get used to the range in Elite try the Zeppelin practice mission. The way the health bar changes color when you hit makes it perfect for testing range.
B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharp Shooter, nebular, airwolff, Fr!gg*

Finding range in Elite 7 years 11 months ago #327381

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bunp

This really works:

When you do get in range just line up the red's plane with the bottom of the small inner circle of the gun sight. It's usually right there and as you get closer it moves up to the center of the cross hairs.

The key to making this work is knowing when you are in range. Watch the Reds' bullets. If they are still vanishing before they get to you, they are still out of range. Make a mental mark of the point where the bullets reach... that's the distance where the target is on the bottom of the small inner circle.

(If I'm not hitting its because I'm not paying attention to this. Tends to happen after I imbibe....) B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, nebular, airwolff, Fr!gg*, coyote

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 11 months ago #327550

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

That works, but it's a little trickier if you're not just flying head on into the firestorm. If you're trying to get out to the flanks to set up a little enfilade, you find yourself frequently kicking back in to try to check on the targets range/position . . . from above, I imagine it looks like I'm trying to fly along a saw blade.

Once you get into position (or your target focuses their attention on you, thus forcing your hand), it becomes a race to see who can zero their aim first. I think the target that has been flying a more or less straight course has an advantage in getting zeroed first.
.[/color
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, nebular

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 11 months ago #327976

• _bts
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1091
I think elite is very unfair-you can't drill a plane when you can only just see the name miles away and have to get closer!!Not that I can do it in df mind!!Cant be good for the old kdr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fr!gg*

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 11 months ago #329618

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bump.

There's still a lot of spray-and-prey out there. ;)

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 11 months ago #329621

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
Im getting it dialed in finally. I've made a feww shots with no sight lol disappearing sights sucks.

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 8 months ago #339340

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bump for all the latest elitists. B)

It may be slightly different now, I Haven't really put it to a test lately. After a little while it became second nature. I was using an iPad mini when I started this thread; very nice! Now that I'm using a phone it's more of a guess with the tiny screen. I'm grateful for the aiming boxes. The part that was hardest to get used to was when I get close enough that the aiming box disappears. I'm used to it now but for a while I could barely tell where the planes were.

Don't forget that bullets can go between the wings now so you may feel like your shots are going right into the kill zone but you may still be missing.

Don't be discouraged! Some players are loving it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flyin SOB, onekill, airwolff, Cush62

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 8 months ago #339758

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Faster planes: lead your shots farther.

The new speed and maneuverability is a whole new thing to get used to. Lots more turn fighting with or without bombs. It can be a real challenge to get a shot in at someone you're following. I guess it makes sense that the same amount of bullets flying at a faster moving target are more likely to miss... there are far more times when a red moves right through the crosshairs while my thumb is mashing the fire button, but no hit. Sometimes sure, it's lag but definitely not all of it. More realistic maybe? Games are faster paced and more fun in my eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Flyin SOB, ooga chaka

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 7 months ago #339879

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Faster planes also changes the timing of when to drop your bombs!

I was turn fighting my way to the allied carrier and made it... just to drop both bombs over the far side of the ship. &#%?€?!
:lol:

Drop a little sooner now...
The following user(s) said Thank You: nebular

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 7 months ago #339880

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
bullet drop doesnt happen if you fly upside down and shoot lol

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 7 months ago #339989

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4939
I am pleased with the new plane speed and maneuvering ability. One thing that could be tweaked for windows 10 PC keyboard players. In DF1 it was hard to zero a enemy some what as the plane would move up or down in to large of increments. But it was manageable. Elite the increments are much more pronounced. Even throttling down does not smooth this out. I give a little tap to the up key and plane jumps up much to steep. Down is the same. Side to side plane fly's very smooth. Why is this important?. When firing, you now under fire or over fire the oncoming plane. Very difficult to micro adjust aim. But the game plays much better. Thanks for the upgrade Zup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, airwolff

Last edit: by Cypher7{WP}.

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 7 months ago #341532

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bump for SKY FOX B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 6 months ago #343576

• Flyin SOB
  • Thank you received: 25

Great game3and realism...
Except ground speen seems to be off...

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 6 months ago #344000

• GoldenEagle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • war is another problem
  • Thank you received: 440

Dognamitt wrote: bullet drop doesnt happen if you fly upside down and shoot lol

I tested this out and it did drop for me.
SOTFL

The GOLDENEAGLE still remains

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 7 years 6 months ago #344078

• PabloHarlem
  • Thank you received: 50
When I finally get logged in I look forward to it

Bullet drop and aiming. Finding range in Elite. 4 years 1 month ago #379484

• Cue Ball
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • BALD AND BEAUTIFUL
  • Thank you received: 1773

Excellent way of looking at it. I to complained. It's does suck relearning though. But, it a good community of people
Cueball#1

Cueball #2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.863 seconds