Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43310

• Slenderman
  • Slenderman's Avatar Topic Author
  • The [e]nigma Corps
  • Thank you received: 849
As this forum consists of many guys -- I was curious as to who collects knives or what knife they currently have. Post your knives with a review, I'm always looking for good utility & EDC knives. :cheer:

I just recently purchased a new Fox Karambit. Should be in the mail later today -- I'll get my review up later. Back when I was in a Krav Maga class -- our instructor had us practice with several training full tang karambits. Only until now have I been able to get an Italian Fox made karambit. I though about getting an Emerson but -- I dunno. I think I'd prefer the ergonomics and design of the Fox.

>pic related

From what I've read -- it does wonders on boxes & packaging. And the "wave" feature (that sort of hook above the hole on the blade) allows the blade to deploy on it's own as soon as you pull it from your pocket. The only thing I've read bad is they're a bi-...a total pain to sharpen. However, the blades generally hold an edge for a long while. :lol:

Anyways! What are you guys using for an EDC?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oedius Momicus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Slenderman.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43325

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 915
I havent used a knife since i was a gamekeeper, I had a deerhorn handled skinning knife with a 4" blade that was absolutely beautiful. all i have now is my katana :( I do love it though :)

its a practical plus, i needed one for my sword training class and got it two weeks before the u.k. had a ban on buying them without a certificate. i need to re-wrap it soon as the material is starting to wear but other than that it is in superb shape.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43326

• Luna
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1516
My dad bought me a Benchmade 154cm. I really don't use it much. :P

Like, at all. I probably use my bo staff more often.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43327

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
  • Thank you received: 346
Luna, your dad sure must know his knives. Benchmade are some of the finest in the world! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luna

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43339

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460
Rigging knives: MYERCHIN and WICHARD (both with marlinspikes & shackle tools)
Mulit-tool: GERBER (over LEATHERMAN) with wrist snap-out pliars
SPYDERCO: One hand open they make the CIA switchblade in black annodized

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43356

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
  • Thank you received: 162
I just have a pocket knife.I like it because it has other attachments that make it good for opening packaging.I like to look at old Samurai katanas and swords.
our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen! Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us, God save the Queen!
[IMG]img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb200912171940...320px-Union_flag_160[IMG]

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43357

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

madtothebone1 wrote: I havent used a knife since i was a gamekeeper, I had a deerhorn handled skinning knife with a 4" blade that was absolutely beautiful. all i have now is my katana :( I do love it though :)

its a practical plus, i needed one for my sword training class and got it two weeks before the u.k. had a ban on buying them without a certificate. i need to re-wrap it soon as the material is starting to wear but other than that it is in superb shape.

Nice! I've always wanted to get a decent katana -- mostly just to hang up. However, I want an actual folded steel one -- not one put through a cast. Looks awesome! Do you have to maintain it often? Like oiling the blade?

Luna6 wrote: My dad bought me a Benchmade 154cm. I really don't use it much. :P

Like, at all. I probably use my bo staff more often.

Yeah! Benchmades rule. I had a friend put a vice on his knife and he stood on the handle. Barely even bent. Those are some tough knives.

Paul Mantz, Jr. wrote: Rigging knives: MYERCHIN and WICHARD (both with marlinspikes & shackle tools)
Mulit-tool: GERBER (over LEATHERMAN) with wrist snap-out pliars
SPYDERCO: One hand open they make the CIA switchblade in black annodized

I used to like Spyderco -- but only their old stuff. It seems as if the materials are cheaper now and they don't feel as great. Same thing with Emerson. They went from all hand made knives to some factory in China. :lol:

However, I love Gerber's. I've had nothing but success with them.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43364

• [*M]coop
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Sua Sponte"
  • Thank you received: 2949
The only knife I own is my S.O.G I used in the service,I prefer my M1A1...LOL

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43376

• *420*
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Genocide====>YOU
  • Thank you received: 543
The sword is generic, but the knife is military. My ex-stepdad gave it to me years ago. He received it from that one military school(the name escapes me right now). Excuse the nail polish stain lol, just moved in too errrr

If thats the way to exterminate, it'll take too freaken looonng
Attachments:

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43378

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

coop wrote: The only knife I own is my S.O.G I used in the service,I prefer my M1A1...LOL

S.O.G is one of my favorite brands. Such a solid company. They often give their factory seconds (knives with say -- a scratch on the blade or something minor) to the troops for free or extremely discounted prices.

*420* wrote: The sword is generic, but the knife is military. My ex-stepdad gave it to me years ago. He received it from that one military school(the name escapes me right now). Excuse the nail polish stain lol, just moved in too errrr

Awesome sword but...REALLY cool dagger! I've always wanted one for hunting -- but I mostly need to cut up stuff. Not stab. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]coop

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43382

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Mt. Everest is my home.
  • Thank you received: 863
ill post my knife later

Say you'll never let me go...
A wise sput once said "you laugh at my skills I laugh at your bank account"

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43405

• BStrachan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 650

B) I wish I new how to post pic. I collect a lot. Swords my oldest is 1796 , I have us navy model 1854, British infrintry officers model [1845-1854] . Not to Menchen all ww1 and ww2 stuff I have. :P

Last edit: by BStrachan.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43434

• bomer1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • yolo
  • Thank you received: 539
Amazing b. Ok ill tell u step by step. First down load photobucket from app store or google play. After u do pm me. And ill tell u what to do next.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43458

• Hamers
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • leader of kamikazi squadron
  • Thank you received: 273
Ummm this might be alittle minorly off topic but my drama teacher has a kantana sword.
lets eat grandma. lets eat, grandma. commas save lives

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43486

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
I have a Kershaw Whirlwind with the straight/non-serrated blade. It's by far the best knife i have ever owned. It's an assisted opener and it holds an edge forever. Here's a pic I found.

My brother has a couple of good ones too. one is an Opinel pictured here.

It is STUPID!!! sharp.

His daily carrying knife is the Schrade SCH501 it's fairly cheap but he has worked it to a nice sharp edge and maintains it daily.

I also have a Leatherman Blast that I don't use enough and I have a Case that is a very good knife as well but I still prefer my Kershaw.

Last edit: by [NLR]Jacob10000.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43538

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Cold Steel Ti-lite 4" plain edge. Cold Steel Voyager 5" fully serrated. Cold Steel Scimitar 4" plain edge. All folders. Will try to post pics later.

Sorry but, since I am at work right now, I just downloaded these pics from web into PC.

The Ti-lite is my current EDC. My martial arts instructor suggested not using knife for "utilitarian" purposes that is intended primarily for self defense. Then it would always be razor sharp and ready to cut through jeans, heavy jacket, etc. This is especially true of a fully serrated blade. ;)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Oedius Momicus.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43555

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 915
This is what i used to own when out hunting rabbit, pheasant etc, it now resides amongst my fathers collection of hunting gear and it was the best £80 i ever spent.

its made by a company called Joker and i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it at my local gun shop (they mainly do shotguns as here in the uk you cant own a 357 python lol)

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43640

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Slenderman, I hope you're happy! You planted a seed by posting those Fox Karambit knives. :dry: Now I must have one! I found some on Ebay but, the price for one is pushing my budget to new boundries. :ohmy:

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43643

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460
All my knives lock when opened or are non-folding. Not much worse than being up a mast of a sailboat and have the knife close on your finger and have part of it drop on one of your shipmates.

Practice safety, safely!

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43668

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

oedius wrote: Slenderman, I hope you're happy! You planted a seed by posting those Fox Karambit knives. :dry: Now I must have one! I found some on Ebay but, the price for one is pushing my budget to new boundries. :ohmy:

I am VERY happy. It just came in the mail today! I have to say it is one of the best quality knives I've ever owned.

Here's my personal breakdown:

Pros:

-High quality N690co Cobalt steel. Hardly any need to sharpen
-Came out of the box razor sharp
-No blade play/jiggling
-Great finish
-Amazing G10 fiberglass infused grip
-Very ergonomic and comfortable to hold
-Rips through packaging & slices paper in a snap.
-You can make very very deep slashes with this
-The "wave" feature is amazing. See that hook opposite of the actual blade? As you take the karambit out of your pocket, that hook actually catches onto the outside of your pocket and the knife deploys. All by itself. No spring assist or anything. Extremely handy.
-The "ring" which you put your finger in makes the knife feel as if it's one with your body. No way of getting it knocked out of your hand. And the ring acts as a knuckle duster, heh.

Cons:

-My liner lock didn't work the first 3-4 times I deployed it. However, it just needed to be worked it -- it works flawlessly now.
-Mine came with the pocket clip on the wrong side. The screws were a pain in the ass to unscrew, hahahah. But I eventually used a pair of needlenose pliers and got 'em off. Works and looks fine. :)

I highly recommend purchasing one.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43679

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Mt. Everest is my home.
  • Thank you received: 863

Slenderman wrote:

oedius wrote: Slenderman, I hope you're happy! You planted a seed by posting those Fox Karambit knives. :dry: Now I must have one! I found some on Ebay but, the price for one is pushing my budget to new boundries. :ohmy:

I am VERY happy. It just came in the mail today! I have to say it is one of the best quality knives I've ever owned.

Here's my personal breakdown:

Pros:

-High quality N690co Cobalt steel. Hardly any need to sharpen
-Came out of the box razor sharp
-No blade play/jiggling
-Great finish
-Amazing G10 fiberglass infused grip
-Very ergonomic and comfortable to hold
-Rips through packaging & slices paper in a snap.
-You can make very very deep slashes with this
-The "wave" feature is amazing. See that hook opposite of the actual blade? As you take the karambit out of your pocket, that hook actually catches onto the outside of your pocket and the knife deploys. All by itself. No spring assist or anything. Extremely handy.
-The "ring" which you put your finger in makes the knife feel as if it's one with your body. No way of getting it knocked out of your hand. And the ring acts as a knuckle duster, heh.

Cons:

-My liner lock didn't work the first 3-4 times I deployed it. However, it just needed to be worked it -- it works flawlessly now.
-Mine came with the pocket clip on the wrong side. The screws were a pain in the ass to unscrew, hahahah. But I eventually used a pair of needlenose pliers and got 'em off. Works and looks fine. :)

I highly recommend purchasing one.

With that knife no one will want to get near me
Perfect discription slendy. :)

Say you'll never let me go...
A wise sput once said "you laugh at my skills I laugh at your bank account"

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43681

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Sput, just make sure you keep it away from Agnes! Have you ever seen the movie "Fatal Attraction"? :ohmy: :P

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43688

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly [e]nigma, or I won't let you fly.
  • Thank you received: 963
Slender, the hook that deploys the knife confuses me a little. Do you keep the tip of the knife in your pocket facing the ground, or the sky?
See you in the skies!

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43693

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Check out the Cold Steel Ti-lite. It deploys in similar manner. I carry one and still am amazed by just how fast it opens.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43715

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

CalvinIsAwesome wrote: Slender, the hook that deploys the knife confuses me a little. Do you keep the tip of the knife in your pocket facing the ground, or the sky?

Ah, I see why you'd be confused. Well, the knife I guess you could say is "upside down" but...I think it's best I show you a video of

Here's a video of the deployment with a few flips.

That video is of Emerson himself deploying the wave system on one of the Emerson Karambit trainer knives -- the exact same system Fox uses.

You simply put your index finger in the ring and lift it up and slightly forward. The wave will catch in any material. I've tried it in jeans, chinos, dress pants, everything. I can't believe how fluid it feels.

I don't see the point in flipping it around (intimidating?) -- but I've found that the best/coolest method of deploying is is to ring it, lift it and as it's deploying you quickly make it do a back "flip" around your finger as it comes to rest in your palm. Even if you messed up on the initial deployment and partially opened it, the momentum will fully open it and when it comes to rest -- it'll be in perfect hand position.

:EDIT: Oh weird! For some reason, Emerson is deploying it backwards in this video. He's grabbing the ring and lifting -- but if you watch, he has to readjust the knife to face forward. Weird.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43717

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Wow, Slenderman! After watching that demonstration video, there is absolutely no way that I can not get me one of those! Fantasic! :woohoo:

EDITED: to say that sometimes a "reverse grip" may be preferable.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43720

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
LOL. Here's a video of someone using it on someone else.

As you can see, if it were to be used in fighting -- you using slashing motions. With the standard knife, you just make 1 inch by 3-4 inch stabs. With a karambit, you're making long 4-5 inch clean slashes. When the weapon was first developed by the Indonesians & Philipino's -- they would often go for the neck or clavicle bone (collar bone). By simply coming up and "hooking" the collar bone; they would then kick the enemy back -- causing a break. Ouch. :lol:

And oedius, the "reverse grip" with the blade pointed down is the proper grip. I was talking about that the knife was facing the wrong way. Like -- the "wave hook" is facing his Southern position. The wave should be facing to the north and deploying on the posterior part of your pocket.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43723

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
And oedius, once you receive yours -- check out this video.

He basically covers all the basics and deployment techniques. Even how to extend the knife which would allow one to strike an extra 6-7 inches away.

There are loads of more in depth videos as well. I find that most of the stuff (especially if you're of a martial arts background) comes very natural.

Oh -- and you'll definitely want to make a makeshift safety sleeve like I did. I simply cut a piece of cardboard to the shape of the knife and rubber banded it completely around the blade. That way I can't cut or stab myself -- but still flip it around. You'll need it. I thought I didn't, but during one flip I found myself getting a small stabbing slice on the underside of my wrist -- just barely missing a vein. Yikes.

So play it safe. Wear protection. :lol:

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43742

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
Very interesting video & info, Slenderman! Philipino knife and stick fighting, as well as philipino hand to hand combat share many of same basic "angles of attack". Philipino martials arts are especially efficient and brutally effective. My buddies & I always favored these techniques and were part of foundation for all of our close quarters combat training. ;)

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #43743

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
Whoa! If you're well versed in Philipino martial arts -- you're golden.

While the knife was first made in Indonesia -- it was the people of the Philippines that really took it places and developed it for combat.

Time to create page: 0.749 seconds